Monday, August 09, 2004

M M and Wood

I saw MMW live at Mishawaka the other night and I think I'll have to consider it my virgin MMW experience because I can't really believe the Aspen Jazz Festival counted (heavy petting in comparison). First, I must tell you that the Mish is probably on of the best places to see music in Colorado. Beautiful environment, few people, fair prices (except on food) - $25 ticket, and, most importantly, great sound. From this experience I have to believe that this band is easily one of the greatest bands ever. They breathe together better than any other band I've seen. Sadly, this obviously wasn't the best concert they've put on, but I really can't hold it against them. The play by play:
The first set started very strong. Wood was on acoustic and everything was good in the world. They were obviously jamming, but it sounded great nonetheless. Then, Wood dropped his acoustic for his electric and the whole vibe of the band changed. It was amazing to the watch them as they morphed from an intensly musical entity into a reasonably talented jam band. The rest of the set was lame.
The second set started with Wood still on electric. I was scared. Luckily he picked up his acoustic before very long. You wouldn't have believed the difference. Most noticeably, John Medeski phrases extremely differently behind an acoustic bass. Again, everything was good in the world. Wood eventually picked up his electric again, but it was to play Shackman so I forgave him. The rest of the concert was great.
Chris Wood is one of the most outstanding bassists alive. I needed to see him live to realized it, but, now that I have, there really isn't any question. I just wish he would spend more time on acoustic in this band. As a rhythm player he is understandibly one of the best. He plays in a glorified funk band for christ sake. He only surpasses his abilitly as a rhythm player through his soloing. One of the most creative bassists I've seen - technically and musically. All I can say is, "you must see him live."
This is definitely a band I would like to see again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Mosley said...

i'm jealous because you remember it....

10:47 PM  
Blogger Danny Meyer said...

I can't say I've listened to a enough flecktones to decide either way. Last time I heard that band I was very impressed with their musicality, but I remember disliking the saxophonist. I felt he was a little to cheesy to be playing in a band that hip. Almost everything I've heard come out of Bela Fleck outside of his band I have enjoyed. They stuff with Edger Meyer is great. Can you recommend a good album?

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home