Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Jacques Loussier

My uncle gave me this cd called Jacques Loussier Trio Plays Debussy yesterday. It's a piano trio putting debussy compositions in a jazz setting. I was very doubtful, hearing in my head all the ways it could sound just terrible; thinking it was some hokey little thing he played on cruise ships or something. Luckily, it is actually done quite tastefully, leaning heavily on the sound ECM has produced for the past thirty years. Sometimes the drummer bothers me a bit. He plays two much with just his brushes, even on the ride, making it sound uncomfortably like a wedding reception. He does do some interesting and tasty things, though. I also feel like Loussier could express the changes more vividly than he does when he's blowing. I don't think Debussy would appreciate the almost condescending diatonicism the pianist steadily employs. Very interesting recording, really, and the melodies are gorgeous and played well. I think if the rythm section from Tomasz Stanko's quartet did this, it would be mind blowing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home