Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Ya Ya 3

I've finally figured out what I like so much about Joshua Redman's playing on this album: Brian Blade's comping. I had never noticed before, this album may be one of Brian Blade's best. Blade and Yahel (mostly Blade) paste almost all of the ends of Josh's lines and although many of his lines end on one, the effect is still great. Nothing against Josh...he plays great on the entire album (his best in my opinion), but I honestly believe he wouldn't sound as inspired if he was not playing with such a beautiful musician as Brian Blade. Sam Yahel still disapoints me. I wish there was a musician out there with a balance of Sam Yahel and Joey Defrancesco. I've seen a few trio albums with Jerry Bergonzi, Adam Nussbaum, and a B-3 player named Dan Wall. I'd like to hear him. _______________________________

BTW - I'm going to go ahead and register with myself BMI. It seems like it will be easier in the long run to have each person create their own name. It looks pretty easy. If I run into any problems I'll post them here so you don't have to deal with them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Mosley said...

i haven't listened to it for a while, but that abercrombie record that i think i gave you is with nussbaum and dan wall. Wall teaches at oberlin, where i was kind of considering for a while. yea, figure out the dirt on BMI for me.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home