Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Hip Metheny?

I heard Pat Metheny's 80/81 for the first time last night and was actually inspired by it. It's very 70's movement kind of thing(you should see the picture of 'em on the inside) with Jack Dejohnnete, Charlie Haden, Dewey Redman(!) and Mike Brecker. It's some pretty adventurous music, delving at times into free playing very effectively. Metheny's tone is soaked in reverb and chorus and so sounds very dated, and he still has some annoying characteristics(like sliding into every note he plays) but overall he sounds damn good. Dewey sounds fantastic, of course. I was in the car, so i have little opinion on how Charlie sounds. Brecker wasn't to bad, but he had his own special reverb that made everything he played sound like a solo on an 80's power ballad. Very distasteful. Jack D. sounded just like himself. I like Jack D. I was also informed of a cd of Metheny's called Rejoicing with Charlie and Billy Higgins featuring all Ornette tunes. Sounds cool. How do you like that? I just talked about Pat Metheny in a civil manner! I must be getting soft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home